A PST file or Personal Storage Table file is the proprietary file for Microsoft email applications such as Microsoft Outlook. All the information regarding the entries into Outlook is stored in this file. If due to some reason, this file is to get corrupted then, Outlook might malfunction or even become inaccessible. The PST files can get corrupted due to virus attacks, power outages, abrupt exiting of Outlook, CRC errors etc.
So, in such a situation you are required to repair your Microsoft Outlook. Outlook repair is a relatively easy job, and can be done with minimum effort. If you are unable to solve the issue, you might be required to use third-party PST file Recovery software to recover the PST file.
Let us now take a deeper look into the error caused due to corrupted PST file in Outlook 2000.
We have discussed this cause before and it is obviously the corrupted PST file that is causing this error. The program fails to open and this error message will be displayed: “Unable to display the folder, [path] Outlook.pst could not be accessed, access denied”.
Methods to solve this issue
To repair Outlook and to successfully access it again, follow the instructions given below.
- Exit from Outlook 2000.
- Locate the Scanpst.exe file to run the Inbox Repair tool.
- Before running this tool, ensure that you have made a backup of the PST file. This tool read and rebuilds the item headers and deletes whatever it fails to read.
- Now, try opening the Outlook to see if the issue is resolved.
If the issues still persists, follow the guidelines given below.
- Run Scandisk.exe to check for errors in the file.
- Sometimes the issues can be related to the location of PST file. Therefore, move the file to another location and see whether this fixes the issue.
- Create a new Outlook profile and add the PST file to this new profile.
Try out these methods and verify whether the issue has been resolved. If all these methods fail to resolve the errors, then use third-party PST file recovery software. So, before you try your hand at an Outlook repair work, make sure you memorize these bits of information on corrupted PST files.