Gmail from Google is one among the free email providers that allows you to setup a Post Office Protocol (POP) account. This will help you to access your email account even while offline. You can read and send replies to the messages while staying offline. Isn’t that easy? For the purpose of adding a Gmail account to Outlook Express, you need to enable it on the Gmail and adjust the Outlook setting so that you can download emails from the Gmail’s POP server. Here is how you setup a Gmail account in Outlook express to avail the benefits of the latter to make your jobs simpler and faster. This facility will give you more flexibility as you can access your mails even when you are not connected to the World Wide Web.
Instructions to set up Gmail in Outlook Express
- Open Outlook Express program. Choose Tools option and then select Accounts. Find the internet accounts box and choose Add. Then choose Mail.
- Enter by typing the name of your account. Then click on the Next button.
- Type in the email address of the Gmail account. Select the Next button
- Now you need to enter the information given as below:
Incoming Mail: pop.gmail.com
Outgoing Mail: smtp.gmail.com. Then select the Next button again.
- Now, enter by typing your account name and password in the respective boxes provided in the Gmail account settings. You need to select the account just created and choose Properties.
- Choose the Servers tab. You need to put a check mark beside the box that displays the details as My server requires a secure SSL connection. This can be seen beneath the Outgoing mail server tab.
- Make sure that you add the information as follows:
Outgoing Mail: 465
Incoming Mail: 995
- Choose OK and then select the Exit button.
It’s all done! You are free to send and receive your mails in Gmail within Outlook Express.
Things to remember
Certain ISPs and Firewalls will not support the ports 465 and 995. Under such circumstances, you need to contact the Microsoft technical support to configure the Outlook setting to enable the Gmail accounts within the Outlook Express platform. Sometimes if you are allowing downloads from the Gmail for the very first time, you may require yourself to stay patient as this might take away some good amount of time!